Structured Reporting Using XBRL
SASB's Digital Strategy
SASB’s digital strategy is aligned with our core mission of establishing standards for ESG reporting that facilitate communication between companies and investors. We have developed a suite of integration options to help organizations incorporate SASB standards into their platforms and commercial activities. Asset managers and asset owners; banks; data, analytics, and research firms; and corporate reporting software companies all license SASB frameworks and data.
SASB plans to fully support XBRL to make digital reporting easy for issuers and data aggregation & analytics easy for investors. SASB has been proactive in developing an XBRL version of our taxonomy.
In 2020, SASB announced our engagement with PwC to support in the development of a SASB XBRL taxonomy. As a result of this engagement, an initial draft version of the taxonomy was released and made available for public comment. The public comment period was open for a period of 60 days and ended on May 3rd, 2021. We reviewed the public comments received and have incorporated several recommendations.
The SASB Standards XBRL taxonomy is now ready for public use. For the details of the changes and plans for the future, please visit our blog post here.
Download XBRL Taxonomy & Supplemental Materials
- SASB XBRL Taxonomy
- Preparer Guide
- Step-by-step guide to using Workiva WDesk platform to create a SASB instance document
- Introductory guide to Corefiling Seahorse platform
Note: The aim is to work with all market participants to ensure the SASB Standards XBRL Taxonomy is available and widely used. The examples above are not intended to be an endorsement of any software platform. Rather, they are meant to highlight how the taxonomy can be used once it is integrated into a software platform.
Browse XBRL Taxonomy Online
Browse taxonomy using Workiva’s Wdesk Taxonomy Analyzer.
Workiva has integrated SASB Standards XBRL Taxonomy and showcased two distinct scenarios:
The older draft version of the taxonomy can also be viewed at – https://app.wdesk.com/taxonomy-analyzer/#taxonomies/SASB_2021_BETA
The public comment period was open for 60 days and ended on May 3rd, 2021. We reviewed the public comments received and have incorporated several recommendations. If you would like to provide additional feedback, please use the link below to do so.
Public Comment Letters
Comment letters are posted in the order of receipt.
- XBRL US Domain Steering Committee, February 22nd, 2021
- Charles Hoffman, March 2nd, 2021
- Ninel Nesheva-Kiosseva, March 3rd, 2021
- Sami Lundgren, March 9th, 2021
- Fujitsu, March 21st, 2021
- Dr. Albert Chou, March 18th, 2021
- Suffolk University Boston, March 24th, 2021
- IRIS, April 4th, 2021
- Financial Reporting Council, April 20th, 2021
- Clarity AI, April 21st, 2021
- Nimet Vural, April 21st, 2021
- XBRL International Taxonomy Architecture Guidance Task Force, April 21st, 2021
- CalcBench, April 29th, 2021
- Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation (GLEIF), May 3rd, 2021
- idaciti, May 3rd, 2021
- Bank of America, May 4th, 2021
- S&P Global, May 12th, 2021
SASB held a webinar with XBRL US to discuss the SASB Standards and our vision for structured reporting using XBRL, including a demonstration of SASB’s XBRL taxonomy and panel discussions about how the process of preparing, extracting, and analyzing machine-readable ESG data will work in practice.
SASB utilizes Fujitsu XWand tools in its XBRL taxonomy creation process to enable structured reporting on SASB Standards.