The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about financially material sustainability factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
The Summer Research Assistant will support the Research Team at SASB on a temporary basis, typically during the course a degree-granting program (for example, between the 1st and 2nd years of an MBA). While there is some flexibility, SASB expects a 10-12 week commitment.
In this role, you will sit alongside SASB’s Sector Analysts and take responsibility for a specific project in support of the development of SASB’s industry-specific standards. The SASB Standards enable companies around the world to report financially material sustainability (or ESG) information to investors in a manner that is useful for investment analysis and cost-effective for companies. In supporting the development of the standards (or the market’s implementation of the standards), you will specialize in one or more sectors and collaborate with Analysts to assess the financial materiality of ESG issues, advance performance measurement, and help drive forward projects that support the market’s use of the SASB standards.
REPORTS TO: Director of Research – Standards
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Analyze the financial materiality of sustainability topics on an industry-specific basis, including the nature and type of financial impacts
- Advance the usefulness and cost-effectiveness of the metrics used to capture company performance on sustainability topics
- Assess disclosure quality and trends in the context of standardization, usefulness for investors, and cost-effectiveness for companies
- Gain proficiency in the implementation of the SASB Conceptual Framework and Rules of Procedure, both of which are centered on an evidence-based and market-informed process
Projects & Practice Areas
- Support projects and practice area initiatives designed to facilitate the market’s use of SASB standards
- Advance research team objectives through efficient collaboration, project management, and strategic thinking
- Drive forward projects and activities with internal teams, including Capital Markets & Policy Outreach, Education & Partnerships, Communications, and Technology
- Support Analysts in the sector coverage-related activities, including conducting sector-based research and advancing relationships with companies, investors, and third-parties
- Analyze and document market input in an effective and systematic manner
- Support complex stakeholder relations, including those with companies, investors, and third-parties
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Demonstrated high-quality research and analysis skills, including technical aptitude and the ability to synthesize complex information into clear insights and conclusions
- Excellent communication skills across a range of formats and audiences
- Collaborative work style with an ability to be effective as an individual contributor in an entrepreneurial fast-paced environment
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a non-exempt, hourly, and temporary position, located in San Francisco, CA.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “Summer Research Assistant”