The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) sustainability factors. Our mission focuses on setting sustainability accounting standards for public companies to bring social and environmental capital to the attention of mainstream capital markets through engagement with key stakeholders such as the investors, companies and the SEC.
The SASB Foundation is responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The mission of The SASB Foundation is to support the work of SASB and provide the market with education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting. The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the SEC, the FASB and the Big 4, major asset owners and managers, issuers, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Make your case in your cover letter. Generic letters don’t persuade us.
SASB seeks a full-time communications manager to lead the production and strategic marketing of SASB’s digital and print content such as case studies, reports, videos and webinars.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing all stages of content production as well as content marketing and distribution, working closely with SASB’s Communications Team (graphic designer, copywriter) and content experts from across the organization.
You are a creative yet methodical communications professional with extensive experience producing all types of content, from case-studies, videos, blogs and e-newsletters to traditional print documents. You will be a big-picture thinker and a strategic member of the Communications Team who will take ownership of initiatives, leading the creation of a variety of editorial content for SASB, and identifying and developing opportunities to publish content in external channels with external stakeholders. You must have excellent project leadership skills, be highly fluent with concepts related to finance and sustainability and be able to communicate highly technical and complex subject matter in a clear, accessible way.
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Own and drive SASB’s content production processes, including content ideation, writing, copy editing, graphic design, and activation, often working with multiple internal teams.
- Develop new ways of producing and distributing content to maximize reach, readership and impacts
- Maintain and report on production standards and targets.
- Ensure all content positively reinforces SASB’s brand and voice and are appropriate for independent standards setting organization.
- Ensure all content meets SASB’s high standards for quality.
- Proactively manage to strict deadlines with precision.
- Understand SASB’s target audiences—corporations, investors, analysts, securities lawyers, auditors and accountants—and tailor writing to their interest and preferences.
- Develop, manage public communications processes and content for Standards Board.
- Own SASB’s PowerPoint deck production and management processes, always looking for improvements and efficiencies.
Content Distribution & Marketing
- Develop and activate marketing and distribution plans that maximize use of SASB content and publications while uniquely positioning SASB.
- Strategically align content with most impactful channels, and work with other channel owners to coordinate and publish content.
- Evaluate reach, and report on effectiveness of content.
- Ideal candidate will have 7+ years’ experience in communications
- Experience creating all types of digital content, from print publications and annual reports to newsletters, case-studies and promotional emails
- Excellent project management skills, very detailed oriented and a clear communicator, with the ability to turn a draft into a ready-to-market document
- BA (required) in communications or related field (Advanced degree is a plus)
- Experience with and knowledge of content management systems and publishing
- Excellent writing skills across a range of formats and audiences, including ability to clearly communicate technical and complex information
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Experience in graphic design and information design
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, MS Project, Confluence, WordPress, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator
- Expertise in corporate sustainability or integrated reporting
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced start-up environment requiring self-direction, accountability, and high degree of personal initiative
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with change and uncertainty
- Self-sufficient and a collaborative team player – must take initiative and have an “all hands-on deck” attitude to contribute outside of your immediate area of focus
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and deliver to strict deadlines
- Collaborative work style and commitment to getting the job done well
- Excellent people person, open to direction and suggestions
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, attention to detail and high degree of initiative.
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regards to applicants or employees with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Areas of Responsibility” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “Strategic Content Manager.” Please include at least three writing samples along with your resume and cover letter.