Materials Sourcing & Efficiency
Public Comment Period
Public Comment Period open.
End Date: September 2, 2021
The standard-setting project seeks to revise and clarify metrics CG-AA-440a.1 and CG-AA-440a.2 and the associated technical protocols to examine and improve measurability, completeness, comparability, alignment, and cost-effectiveness.
Market input and internal review suggest that the two metrics associated with the Raw Materials Sourcing disclosure topic provide insufficient guidance that may result in inconsistent calculations and noncomparable disclosures. In addition, market input suggests that improvements to the completeness in which the metrics measure performance on the topic, along with further alignment with existing industry approaches should be considered.
- Phase 1 - Initial Research
- Phase 2 - Stakeholder Consultation
- Phase 3 - Post-Consultation Analysis
- Phase 4 - Exposure Draft Development
- Phase 5 - Public Comment Period
- Phase 6 - Public Comment Analysis
- Phase 7 - Completed
SASB invites public comments on the proposed changes to the SASB Apparel, Accessories & Footwear Standard from June 3, 2021 through September 2, 2021. The exposure draft and accompanying basis for conclusions is available for download below in the Published Documents & Supplemental Materials section.
The SASB Standards Board will consider all public comments submitted and conduct deliberations based on the comments received. At that time, the Standards Board may pursue further revisions of the relevant industry standard or may approve the exposure draft as is.
Published Documents & Supplemental Materials
- Briefing Document, April 2020, PDF
- SASB to Improve Apparel, Accessories & Footwear Industry Guidance on Materials Sourcing Measurement, March 2020, online blog
Public Comment Letters
Comment letters are received as part of the public comment period between June 3, 2021 and September 2, 2021. Comment letters are posted in the order of receipt. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for comment letters to be posted.
Board Materials & Decisions
Board Meeting Outcomes
- Staff presented findings from the consultation phase, proposed next steps, and made recommendations related to maintaining the project’s scope.
- The Board provided feedback on staff’s analysis of consultation findings and proposed next steps. The Board also agreed with staff’s recommendation to maintain project scope and pursue revisions that have a clear path forward, as opposed to broadening the project scope in an attempt to address consultation feedback on related, but separate issues.
- Next steps in the project will consist of the development of an exposure draft for public comment.
- The Board unanimously agreed to add a project on measuring performance on raw materials sourcing in the Apparel, Accessories & Footwear industry to its standard-setting agenda.
For a full list of past and upcoming Standards Board meetings, as well as associated materials, please visit our Board Meetings Calendar & Archive.
The staff has prepared this summary for informational purposes only. Any Standards Board decisions are tentative and do not change current accounting. Official positions of SASB are determined only after extensive due process and deliberations.