Open for general feedback
This project is evaluating improvements to the metrics in the Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Air Quality disclosure topics in the Marine Transportation Standard.
Through the formation of an industry working group and through additional consultations, staff has received feedback that some of the metrics in the Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Air Quality disclosure topics lack completeness and comparability in measuring company performance. Subsequent analysis by staff of existing disclosures from reporters of the SASB Standards confirmed that there are likely improvements that can be made to the metrics.
- Phase 1 - Initial Research
- Phase 2 - Stakeholder Consultation
- Phase 3 - Post-Consultation Analysis
- Phase 4 - Exposure Draft Development
- Phase 5 - Public Comment Period
- Phase 6 - Completed
Staff is currently pursuing research and consultations to develop an initial view on potential improvements to:
- Sub-metric on percentage renewable energy consumed
- Metric on average energy efficiency design index (EEDI)
Staff will begin consultations with market participants with the goal of developing an exposure draft of proposed changes to the Marine Transportation Standard.
Board Materials & Decisions
Board Meeting Outcomes
- The Board unanimously approved staff’s proposal to initiate a standard-setting project to evaluate improvements to accounting metrics in the Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Air Quality disclosure topics in the Marine Transportation Standard.
- The Board and staff discussed staff’s rationale for standard setting, including:
- Staff’s engagement with an industry working group of companies, investors, and subject matter experts, which Board members noted could be a model for integrating market feedback into staff’s research process more broadly; and
- Staff’s analysis of Marine Transportation industry company disclosures and their level of alignment with the current Marine Transportation Standard.
- Next steps in the project will consist of staff conducting further research and developing materials to facilitate consultations with market participants, with a focus on the informational needs of investors
For a full list of past and upcoming Standards Board meetings, as well as associated materials, please visit our Board Meetings Calendar & Archive.
The staff has prepared this summary for informational purposes only. Any Standards Board decisions are tentative and do not change current accounting. Official positions of SASB are determined only after extensive due process and deliberations.