The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their key stakeholders. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about materially relevant ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides decision makers in the market with education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 240,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the SEC, the FASB and the Big 4, major asset owners and managers, issuers, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Make your case in your cover letter. Generic letters don’t persuade us.
At SASB you will be the go-to person for ensuring SASB clients have a good customer experience. Our clients include asset managers, asset owners and companies who license the SASB standards or buy SASB educational products. You will onboard asset owners and asset managers who are using the SASB standards to integrate financially material ESG factors into investment decision making. You will help companies understand what to expect after they have licensed SASB resources for their products and services. And you will help individuals who want to access SASB’s educational and membership resources to build their understanding of sustainability accounting.
This position is a chance to own product operations with customer-facing exposure, which is a great base of experience for career paths in client management, customer success, or product management.
You are the kind of person who would be bored by doing the same thing over and over, so you appreciate SASB’s diverse product offerings and unique customer mix. You like that you’ll be working closely with many types of organizations to enable standardized sustainability data architecture (think “Intel Inside”-type relationships) and provide unique materials to learn about the financial impacts of sustainability. You have a vested interest in making sure products are implemented well, reducing customer problems down the line, which is why you invest the time in good product maintenance. You’re excited about being a crucial person in helping SASB succeed—both financially and at its mission—especially in our high-growth environment, when we saw 2018 product sales eclipse the previous 4 years combined.
You have learned from experience that authenticity, trust, and problem-solving are essential to building relationships. You are responsive and err on the side of being too helpful. You like developing systems and processes to help you stay on top of customer support and manage relationships.
You set and achieve stretch goals while pursuing ongoing learning and personal development. You combine a problem-solving mentality with a resilient demeanor to help SASB test, learn, and achieve what’s never been done before. You practice good habits with communication, open-mindedness, and trust, and you expect the same from your team members.
REPORTS TO: Director of Education & Partnerships
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Customer Engagement and Support
- Lead customer support by answering inbound questions and meeting customer needs
- Lead the onboarding experience for licensing customers with accuracy and an eye for efficiently maintaining good customer experiences
- Surface ideas for operational improvements to enhance the customer experience or refine backend product maintenance
- Manage customer support systems, maintaining and streamlining use of technology to continue high-quality support while user base grows
- Propose concise talking points and marketing strategies based on experiences about what resonates with customers
- Deliver demos or other support as needed
- Serve as project manager when SASB is updating the FSA Credential, SASB Navigator, and/or individual Alliance membership
- Organize, plan, and successfully execute logistics for SASB’s products including scheduling customer feedback calls, survey outreach, and notification of product changes
Data Management and Data Analytics
- Manage existing systems to ensure good record-keeping for customer status and contact information (for licensing organizations, individual SASB Alliance members, and customers of the FSA Credential and SASB Navigator), and accurate monthly sales reporting while identifying and implementing new and more efficient systems
- Compile clear and concise reports about customer use, feedback, and feature requests, with accompanying analysis
- Help SASB achieve product objectives and earned income sales goals
- Manage operational tasks related to all aspects of the product development, product sales, and customer delivery process
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Enthusiasm for startup environments; comfort with fast-changing conditions – flexibility is important
- Proven experience giving customers and potential customers prompt attention and helpful support
- Microsoft Excel skills a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Strong project management skills
- Execution-oriented, able to get things done quickly and with excellent quality
- Strong process orientation; able to see how to improve things
- 2-4 years’ relevant experience
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, asset management, and/or investment research a plus
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California. Some travel, less than 10%, may be required. US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject as “Product Associate”