The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Membership & Engagement Associate
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about financially material sustainability factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
At SASB you will support the growth of membership program – the SASB Alliance – with an eye towards strengthening our member engagement and leveraging organizational members to move the capital markets to a more sustainable future. This is a new position and you’re excited about the chance to take charge and make it your own.
You believe that the most effective approach to membership management starts with understanding your members’ priorities and their motivations for staying involved with us. Nothing makes you happier than seeing your work pay off with engaged and satisfied members who become vocal supporters and advocates for increased uptake of SASB standards across the capital markets. You’re passionate about the growth of ESG integration among companies and investors and look forward to playing a role in educating those who are still learning more about this space. You recognize that the best membership programs leverage the strengths and assets of the entire organization, not just the membership team, and you’re willing to find ways to bring others within the organization into members’ experiences with SASB.
You set and achieve stretch goals while pursuing ongoing learning and personal development. You combine a problem-solving mentality with a resilient demeanor to help SASB test, learn, and achieve what’s never been done before. You practice good habits with communication, open-mindedness, and trust, and you expect the same from your team members.
Reports to: Membership & Engagement Manager
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Membership Engagement and Retention Strategy
- Manage member support systems, maintaining and streamlining use of technology to continue high-quality support while user base grows, including the development of an improved Member Portal
- Once a new organizational member joins, lead the process of setting up the systems and documents and internal communication flow needed for the onboarding process
- Support organizational member relationship stewardship, serving as one of their SASB contacts for member email and phone communications
- Closely coordinate with appropriate internal staff to ensure cross-pollination with the activities of the Investor Advisory Group subset of the SASB Alliance
- Surface ideas for operational improvements to enhance the member experience or refine benefits maintenance
Data Management and Data Analytics
- Manage existing systems to ensure good record-keeping for member status and contact information
- Support implementation of a new software solution for membership management
- Support the tracking of touchpoints with organizational members to efficiently and accurately report KPIs related to member engagement
- Set-up and coordinate member calls/webinars
- Manage logistics associated with planning and hosting Alliance member meetings and events, including any needed support for the Investor Advisory Group subset of the Alliance
- Manage the fulfillment of benefits for event sponsors for the SASB Symposium, after an organization has already agreed to be a sponsor
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Enthusiasm for startup environments; comfort with fast-changing conditions – flexibility is important
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, asset management, and/or investment research a plus
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with client relations or membership networks is a plus
- Microsoft Excel skills a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Execution-oriented, able to get things done quickly and with excellent quality
- Strong process orientation; able to see how to improve things
- 1-4 years’ relevant experience
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California. Some travel, less than 5%, may be required.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “Membership & Engagement Associate.”