The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Finance and Operations Manager
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. SASB is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to the ones best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world. We need transparency at scale to enable this lever.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has quickly gained market support. Leading global investors support SASB Standards as a core component of corporate disclosure. We develop products, resources, and education to support the adoption and use of our Standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
SASB seeks a Finance & Operations Manager to leverage their quantitative skills in support of our growth as a global standards setting organization. You are a motivated, analytical “numbers person”. You are systems and process-oriented—you love pulling things together, organizing them, and making them work better. The Finance & Operations Manager will play an integral role in the effective operations of the organization with responsibility for coordinating and managing SASB’s organizational systems and administrative functions related to finance and operations. In this role you will have the opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and experience related to all aspects of nonprofit management as well as exposure to high-level strategic planning. You will ensure that SASB is efficient, effective, and well run. You are a roll-up-the-sleeves kind of person and can operate on multiple levels as our small organization grows and thrives.
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance & Operations
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Manage A/P financial operations including processing invoices, tracking payments, coding expenditures, and monthly bank and credit card reconciliations
- Iterate and implement expense and travel policies (we use Expensify)
- Oversee document preparation and logistics for our annual audit
- Serve as primary liaison with our outsourced bookkeeping firm (Jitasa)
- Support accounting team on month-end close cycles, providing key inputs for the close process (adjustments, accruals, etc.)
- Administer vendor contracting process to ensure completeness of documentation and timely payment of invoices
- Support the Director of Finance drafting financial reporting and projections
- Participate in formulation of annual budget and tracking against actual performance
- Ensure orderly documentation of financial, operational, and personnel records
- Contribute to continuous improvement of strong internal controls and financial policies to mitigate risks and ensure responsible stewardship of the organization’s resources
- Cross train to provide backup for other Finance functions
- Manage office infrastructure and operations including office space maintenance, supplies and materials
- Identify and implement opportunities for continuous improvement of SASB’s data management system (Salesforce), document management system (DropBox), and exploring and implementing additional enterprise software as needed.
- Support SASB’s Director of Finance and Operations in day-to-day activities related to organizational and administrative needs such as scheduling
- Contribute to long-term strategic decision-making by providing research, analysis, and thought-partnership to effectively scale the organization through rapid growth
- Oversee special projects as needed and collaborate with members of the broader SASB team in activities related to the overall achievement of organization-wide goals.
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations; find cost savings
- Design and document new processes (sales operations, contracting, billing, etc.) as our business grows and evolves
- 3+ years of prior experience in a finance/accounting role that included A/P and GL transactions; Quickbooks proficiency required
- Strong accounting, finance and analytical skills including financial planning and management
- Project and operational management experience, including successful negotiations with vendors and internal stakeholders
- Detail orientation with ability to multi-task; Must be flexible, dependable, and able to juggle multiple priorities without missing deadlines—ability to work effectively both at the office and remotely will be required
- Strong team-player: we work as a small, tightly-knit team and you should be self-starting and motivated to find continuous improvement to systems and processes
- Scrappy and excited about our fast-paced startup environment; willing to pitch in to do whatever it takes to get the job done right and expeditiously
- Strong commitment to our mission and effective stewardship of organizational resources
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, and advanced Excel
- BA required, advanced degree is a plus
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, California. [SASB will be operating remotely until at least June 2021 due to Covid-19]
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Finance & Operations Manager”