The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) sustainability factors. Our mission focuses on setting sustainability accounting standards for public companies to bring social and environmental capital to the attention of mainstream capital markets through engagement with key stakeholders such as the investors, companies and the SEC.
The SASB Foundation is responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The mission of The SASB Foundation is to support the work of SASB and provide the market with education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting. The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the SEC, the FASB and the Big 4, major asset owners and managers, issuers, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Make your case in your cover letter. Generic letters don’t persuade us.
This is an outstanding opportunity for the right candidate to join an innovative and entrepreneurial organization. SASB has the power to change the world, but only if its standards are accessible and understood. SASB is at a pivotal time in its development. With codified standards just released in 2018, our focus is now on scaling our impact and increasing both company and investor use of the SASB standards.
To excel in this role, you have excellent personal communication skills –both written and verbal– and a proven track record of using your considerable talent and powers of persuasion to craft and execute high impact communication messages and activities. You are meticulous in crafting messages, and creative in using various media to inform, motivate, and persuade our stakeholders and target audiences. In this role, you will be responsible for responding to internal requests for messaging and content, and strategically managing the development and delivery of Talking Points, Powerpoint decks, and other written content for industry conferences, stakeholder events, webinars, etc.
You have strong listening skills matched with excellent writing skills and a passion for helping others articulate their vision. Whether you’re writing an invitation for a webinar, a blog for our website or a presentation for a global regulatory conference, you take pride in communicating for results. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you!
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Proactively manage speaker support for SASB staff and Board members with Talking Points and Power Points for conferences and external stakeholder events.
- Prepare and support SASB Ambassadors for communicating about SASB.
- Work closely with SASB staff to identify opportunities and messages to position SASB as the leading provider of financially-material sustainability accounting standards.
- Ensure SASB Foundation Board members and SASB Leadership can communicate SASB messaging powerfully and in a consistent voice.
- Assist with stakeholder inquiries and preparing responses to critical articles, requests for public comments, etc.
- Proactively identify strategic conferences and venues for reaching SASB’s targeted decision-makers and stakeholders.
- Identify, manage and support opportunities to engage SASB Board members and staff in stakeholder conferences and events.
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with targeted conveners and conference providers.
Content Creation and Activation
- Develop and deliver to internal customers succinct Talking Points, creative and persuasive Powerpoint slides, and motivating social media posts.
- Develop high-impact communications content and activities that promote our attendance at Conferences and external events.
- Work closely with our Outreach Team and high-priority external stakeholders to develop and write SASB stories and content for external channels, such as blogs, newsletters and social media platforms.
To qualify for this role, you must have previous professional experience in a corporate communications role and mastery of skills required to develop and implement successful communications programs. We are looking for an excellent communicator, skilled facilitator, self-driven doer, and amiable team player with C-suite level communications skills, who can thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- 8 years + relevant communications experience; ideally a blend of corporate communications, public affairs and/or investor relations.
- Extensive experience developing executive-level talking points and presentations on sustainability topics.
- Excellent creative and technical writing skills, coupled with strong editing skills.
- Creative mastery of PowerPoint.
- Ability to meet the demands of multiple clients simultaneously, balancing speed with quality and accuracy
- Ability to translate complex concepts into compelling, easy-to-understand visuals
- BA required, advanced degree a plus, in Communications, Business, Journalism, or related discipline
- Experience developing corporate and sustainability reports (preferred qualification)
- Strong understanding of the capital market “players” and their motivations (investors, listed companies, regulatory agencies); experience shaping messaging to/for these players (preferred qualification)
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regards to applicants or employees with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Areas of Responsibility” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California. Some travel, less than 20%, may be required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “External Communications Manager.” Please include at least three writing samples along with your resume and cover letter.