(A sponsoring company is required)
The SASB is requesting a secondment position from an accounting firm to assist in the codification process of the SASB Standards, including the completion of the upcoming public comment period and a comprehensive evaluation and analysis of the complete set of metrics contained in the Standards. The Sustainability Standards Research Fellow will be part of the Standards Setting Organization team and will work closely with SASB’s Director of Research and Technical Director.
- Improve public understanding of SASB metrics: Work with the Technical Director to analyze 1,100 SASB metrics across 77 industries (many duplicates) with the objective of implementing classification systems by metric sources and alignment (e.g., regulatory, existing third-party sustainability frameworks, industry association, etc.), current disclosure rates and issuer data availability, complexity and frequency, international applicability, and consistency with the Criteria for Accounting Metrics (as established by the SASB Conceptual Framework).
- Identify opportunities to improve SASB metrics: Work with the Technical Director to systematically evaluate the decision-usefulness of metrics for investors, cost-effectiveness for issuers, and ultimately, consistency with the Criteria for Accounting Metrics.
- Assess Technical Protocols: Assess technical protocols associated with frequent and/or complex metrics in the context of suitable criteria. Drive internal team’s knowledge and capabilities around systematic improvements to technical protocols in the context of suitable criteria.
- Public Comment Period (Q4 2017): Participate in technical analysis of public comments received, and responses to public comments, that relate to metrics and technical protocols. Assess the validity and consistency, or lack thereof, of such public comments with the SASB Conceptual Framework.
This role is based in San Francisco, CA.
SASB Director of Research
One year (minimum) with a renewal option of up to two years.
Opportunities for Professional Development:
- Assist in the codification of standards which will broadly impact issuer and investor long-term decision-making.
- Work in a critical SME role on the team which develops and proposes standards to the SASB Standards Board.
- Direct exposure to the SASB Standards Board.
- Develop deep expertise in SASB Standards.
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
- Commitment to delivering high quality output and results on tight timelines
- Experience collaborating with colleagues on complex projects
- Experience identifying patterns and trends and solving complex problems
- Experience in external financial reporting for large public companies, including the SEC’s definition of materiality
- Experience in the sustainability field, with knowledge of the types of sustainability issues likely to impact company performance
- Ability to function at both a strategic and detailed level, as responsibilities will include both the development and execution of strategies to improve the quality of SASB Standards.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently without detailed direction. Solid project management and organization skills.
- Interest in standardized sustainability disclosures for material sustainability information
Desired Qualifications / Experience:
The successful candidate will be high-energy, client-focused, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of SASB. In addition, the following qualifications will generally define the successful candidate (minimum):
- 1- to 2-year commitment to the role as a full time secondment to SASB
- 5-7 years of work experience required
- MBA preferred
- Mission-driven; passionate about SASB
- Good sense of self and strong personal presence
- Willingness to work hard and take direction—but also creatively solve problems for which the answers are not always obvious
Available SASB Internal Expertise and Resources:
This position would work closely with a to be hired Technical Director, who has an overlapping role focused on sustainability metric development and evaluation.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject as “Sustainability Standards Research Fellow.”