(A sponsoring company is required)
SASB is requesting a secondment position from an accounting firm to develop and manage a comprehensive effort to build corporate support for the SASB standards. Corporate support means that leading companies would:
- Acknowledge the value of a market-informed standard for ESG disclosure to investors
- Support SASB’s approach to developing standards
- Participate in the standards development process
- Develop plans to use the standards to guide disclosure to investors
The Corporate Outreach Manager would build relationships with key influencers among the CFO, Chief Accounting Officer, Investor Relations and Chief Sustainability Officer communities to develop advocates for SASB within these communities. The Corporate Outreach Manager would also manage SASB’s relationships with certain corporate-related stakeholders, including the “Big 4” accounting firms. The corporate outreach effort will be tightly coordinated with SASB’s investor outreach effort to ensure they reinforce each other.
- Key Influencer Outreach
- Identify key influencers among the CFO/CAO/IR communities who may be open to the SASB value proposition. Brief these influencers on SASB, build relationships, and identify SASB advocates. Work with the Communications and Standards Setting team to leverage these advocates through media, one-on-one meetings, conferences and case studies.
- Represent SASB at conferences and on panels that target corporate audiences. Identify high potential opportunities and work with Communications team to secure speaking slots.
- Stakeholder Management
- Manage relationships with certain corporate-related stakeholders, including the “Big 4” accounting firms and trade associations such as the AICPA, FEI, and NIRI.
This role is based in San Francisco, with a possibility of placing it in New York for the appropriate candidate.
- Director of Capital Markets Policy and Outreach
- SASB Team: Capital Markets Policy and Outreach
One year (minimum) with a renewal option of up to two years.
Opportunities for Professional Development:
The Corporate Outreach Manager will gain highly valuable leadership and influence management skills, specifically the ability to lead change by developing strong relationships and influencing key stakeholders to build market support for SASB. Specifically, the Corporate Outreach Manager will:
- Obtain a deep understanding of leadership and decision-making related to the simultaneous execution of a complex adoption strategy and the transformation of the capital markets.
- Be exposed to senior executives in both the corporate and investor spheres, with the opportunity to build a strong professional network.
- Be mentored by senior leadership across SASB.
- Develop strong communication skills and the ability to adapt messaging as needed for specific audiences.
- Be at the forefront of establishing a sustainable standards-setting institution at the forefront transforming the capital markets such that investors have access to material, sustainability related information and can drive capital accordingly.
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
- Results/action-orientation; project management skills
- Organizational agility; developed negotiation skills
- Client relationship skills (to be applied to SASB stakeholder relationships)
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to produce great “decks” and briefing documents for key meetings
Desired Qualifications / Experiences:
- Experience building and managing relationships within multiple levels of an organization – from “C suite” to junior people.
- Experience in external financial reporting for large public companies. Experience with investor relations would be a plus.
- Experience in the sustainability field, with knowledge of the types of sustainability issues likely to impact company performance.
- Ability to function at both a strategic and detailed level, as this person will need to both develop and execute strategy.
- Very strong external communications skills. Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly. Comfortable presenting to large groups.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently without detailed direction. Solid project management skills. Well organized.
- Willing to travel (amount of travel depends on location).
Available SASB Internal Expertise and Resources:
This position would work closely with the Strategic Advisor, Stakeholder Outreach who has a similar role focused on Investor Outreach. The Strategic Advisor, Stakeholder Outreach also has responsibility for SASB’s overall stakeholder management process. The Strategic Advisor, Stakeholder Outreach and the Director of Capital Markets Policy and Outreach have a developed an approach to managing investor relationships which could be adapted to corporations.
SASB’s Investor Advisory Group is developing a plan to engage companies on use of the SASB standards. That effort will need to be closely coordinated with the Corporate Outreach effort.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject as “Corporate Outreach Manager.”