The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Director of Marketing and Content
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. SASB is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to the ones best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world. We need transparency at scale to enable this lever.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has quickly gained market support. Leading global investors support SASB Standards as a core component of corporate disclosure. We develop products, resources, and education to support the adoption and use of our Standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
SASB seeks a Director of Marketing & Content to transform SASB’s complex and technical work into clear, compelling communications that advance SASB’s goals. You take ownership of SASB’s content strategy, including developing and implementing a creative vision, managing people and processes to successful outcomes, and achieving results against target objectives. You will lead a multi-media content strategy for the organization, building SASB’s broad library of content and maximizing its impact and reach. Beyond hands-on writing to simplify and enhance the persuasiveness of our messaging, you will oversee the production of engaging content—including case studies, videos, and blogs—that help SASB reach its strategic objectives.
You are passionate about SASB’s mission and telling our story with a variety of content types to reach, educate, and persuade our audiences. You are a talented writer who excels in distilling complex concepts into accessible language and visuals. In addition to crafting content yourself, you are a highly collaborative leader who engages team members, freelancers, and other contributors to produce compelling content. Considering the organization’s high-level goals, you leverage existing and create new content to reach target audiences, deciding what to implement, in what format, and with which partners, to achieve maximum impact. You consider target audiences and the best channels to reach them, and you work with the team to implement and respond to analytics that measure the success of your work, refining your approach to achieving results.
REPORTS TO: Director of Global Communications
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Content Marketing Strategy
- Direct SASB’s multimedia content strategy; developing and overseeing marketing plans that maximize use of SASB content and publications while uniquely positioning SASB; including prioritizing the creation and launch of key content elements
- Simplify and improve the impact of SASB’s key messages (and resulting communications) for a variety of audiences (especially companies and investors), so that each key audience quickly understands who SASB is, what we do, how SASB is relevant to their work, and how they can take action
- Evaluate content ideas and decide which to implement based on likelihood to achieve organizational goals and reach key audiences
- Develop new ways of producing and distributing content to maximize reach, audience, and impact
- Strategically align content with most the impactful channels and work with channel owners to monitor analytics and adjust campaigns accordingly
- Lead collaboration with key partners to identify, create, and market joint content that delivers mutually beneficial value
- Manage people and processes to achieve target content objectives and take ownership for achieving results
- Lead development of content that supports SASB’s investor and corporate adoption goals, including website copy, blogs, articles, videos, case studies, PowerPoint slides, and talking points
- In many cases the Director will “lead by doing” and create the content him or herself, and thus must be an excellent writer and communicator
- In other cases, the Director may work with freelancers and/or vendors to produce the content, and thus must be adept at communicating their vision and managing the process
- Develop strategies to reuse content for multiple purposes
- Ensure all content reinforces SASB’s brand and voice
- Ensure all content meets SASB’s high standards for quality
- Understand SASB’s target audiences and develop or tailor content to educate, engage, and persuade them
- Proven track record of owning and executing a multichannel content marketing strategy
- Ideal candidate will have 7+ years’ experience in marketing strategy, writing, and communications, with significant ownership of both strategy and execution
- Exceptional writing skills across a range of formats and audiences, including the ability to distill technical and complex information clearly and powerfully
- Experience creating all types of content, including website copy, promotional copy, articles, blogs, and case studies
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, manage simultaneous projects, and meet deadlines
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced start-up environment requiring self-direction, accountability, adaptability, and a high degree of personal initiative
- Two or more years supervising direct reports and contractors desired
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint
- Excellent collaborator
- BA required, advanced degree is a plus
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, California.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Director of Marketing and Content”