The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about financially material sustainability factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
As SASB’s Director of Corporate Outreach, you will develop and manage a comprehensive effort to educate companies around the world about SASB standards, and to encourage companies to use SASB standards in their communications to investors. Your objective is to build awareness, address barriers to implementation, and drive adoption of SASB standards within the corporate community.
You will leverage and grow your existing network to connect with leaders among the CFO, Investor Relations, Chief Sustainability Officer and Chief Governance Officer/Corporate Secretary communities to increase their understanding of SASB. As Corporate Outreach Director you will also manage SASB’s relationships with corporate-related stakeholder groups and industry associations. Your corporate outreach efforts will be tightly coordinated with SASB’s investor outreach efforts to ensure they reinforce each other, and you will also work closely and collaboratively with SASB’s Research and Products teams.
REPORTS TO: Director of Capital Markets Policy and Outreach
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Outreach to Companies
- Evaluate current landscape of sustainability disclosure by companies, including current use of and understanding of SASB standards among companies
- Develop and implement an approach to prioritizing SASB’s outreach to companies
- Educate corporate leaders including CFO’s, Investor Relations Officers, Chief Sustainability Officers, and Corporate Secretaries and Corporate Directors about SASB and its value in communicating to investors
- Work with SASB’s Research team to develop a process for managing corporate relationships on an ongoing basis. Engage the Research team as subject matter experts in outreach to companies when needed
Corporate Communications Materials Development
- Simplify SASB for companies. Ensure companies know how to plug into SASB’s research process and access SASB’s resources
- Work with the Research team and Communications team to develop materials for companies focused on SASB’s value propositions for corporate users as well as materials that explain how SASB fits within the reporting ecosystem and interrelates with frameworks such as the Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD), Integrated Reporting, and GRI
- Be SASB’s “business owner” for SASB communications targeted at companies
Demonstrate use of the SASB standards by companies
- Work with SASB’s Communications team to develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan illustrating use of the SASB standards by companies, including case studies, webinars, event participation, etc.
- Understand the needs of the corporate community regarding standards implementation; provide input to development of internal an/or external resources to meet those needs
- Represent SASB at conferences and on panels that target corporate audiences, especially CFO’s, Investor Relations Officers, Corporate Secretaries, Chief Accounting Officers, and Directors
Manage Relationships with Industry Associations
- Prioritize industry associations and manage relationships with certain corporate-related industry associations globally
- Maintain ongoing schedule of briefings and identify which SASB staff or Board members should be involved
- Identify which membership organizations SASB should join, and which advisory bodies SASB should participate in or monitor
No direct SASB employee supervisory responsibilities at this time, although that is possible as the organization grows. Indirect management of staff and volunteer efforts to advance corporate adoption goals.
- Commitment to SASB’s mission of improving sustainability disclosure by companies to shareholders
- Enthusiasm for start-up environments; comfort with fast-changing conditions
- Experience building and managing senior level relationships across multiple functions in an organization, including finance, operations, legal, and sustainability
- Preferred professional background with 10+ years relevant experience in several of the following areas:
- Investor relations and/or external reporting for public companies
- Interacting with corporate boards
- The sustainability field, with knowledge of the types of sustainability issues likely to impact company financial performance
- Strong network among the investor relations, finance/accounting, corporate governance and/or sustainability officer communities. Active involvement and/or leadership positions in key industry associations is a plus
- Ability to function at both a strategic and detailed level, as this person will need to both develop and execute strategy. Good judgment and strategic thinking; the ability to analyze the landscape, analyze, articulate and gain consensus about priorities, and direct resources accordingly
- Very strong external communications skills, both written and verbal. Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and tailor messaging for various audiences as needed. Comfortable presenting to large groups.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently without detailed direction.
- Solid project management skills. Well organized. Execution-oriented.
- Experience with SalesForce or comparable relationship management software is a plus.
- Willing to travel, with some international travel
- BA (required); MBA, CFA, or CPA a plus
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY. Travel will be required.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “Director of Corporate Outreach”