The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about financially material sustainability factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
At SASB, the Chief of Staff position calls for a motivated and adaptable individual to support our Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Chief of Staff will assist the CEO in her responsibilities as a member of the SASB Foundation Board and in achieving her mandate, which can be broadly broken down into three key components:
- to guide organizational strategy and oversight of all staff, programs, and activities to achieve SASB’s mission, goals, and objectives;
- to promote and facilitate global adoption of the SASB standards;
- to speak as SASB’s primary external voice to raise the organization’s profile through maintaining a strong global presence, representing the interests of SASB and the sustainable accounting standards field to potential corporate users, investors, legislatures, regulators, organizations, and other key stakeholder groups.
The Chief of Staff calls for an excellent problem solver and someone who possesses impeccable interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication.
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend to every detail required to ensure the most efficient and effective execution of the CEO’s vision for the organization
- Work with the CEO in the conduct of her responsibilities with SASB’s Board of Directors, preparing agendas, attending meetings, and drafting minutes
- Act as the key liaison to selected SASB stakeholder groups
- Coordinate follow-up and tracking of internal and external communication and meetings of the CEO
- Work with and report to the CEO and directly manage the CEO’s Executive Admin.
- Manage the CEO’s calendar based upon stated priorities
- Ensure activities within the organization are streamlined based on the priorities of the CEO
- Act as the central point of contact for CEO’s internal and external business communications
- Help communicate CEO priorities to staff and department directors
- Keep CEO abreast on current company climate (employee well-being, project statuses, new proposals etc.)
- Attend team meetings across the organization and represents the CEO in such meetings as needed.
- Must have a deep familiarity with and/or experience in the ESG space
- Possesses a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a similar role working with a C-suite manager
- Experience working with a high-profile Board of Directors
- Is a natural and confident leader
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and a knack for productive collaboration across varying departments
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Impeccable time management and multi-tasking skills
- Proven problem solver who can make clear-headed decisions while under pressure
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient
- Bachelors degree required, Masters degree preferred
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject as “Chief of Staff”