The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
Business Development Associate
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about financially material sustainability factors. With SASB standards, companies can benefit from greater transparency, better risk management, and improved long-term performance while providing investors a more accurate picture of their sustainability performance.
The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The SASB Foundation supports the work of SASB and provides education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the FASB, the SEC and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
At SASB, you will be part of a growing team tasked with expanding the organization’s commercial relationships with asset managers, asset owners and companies. SASB provides a range of offerings to organizations, including a membership program, IP licensing rights to use SASB’s research, and event sponsorship. You will help develop strategies to reach and respond to prospective client firms that can benefit from using SASB’s research in their products, services, or educational efforts.
This position is a chance to get customer-facing exposure on the front lines of ESG integration into investment strategies and corporate reporting, which is a great base of experience for career paths in business development, investor relations, and/or sustainability consulting.
To succeed in this role, you have strong communication skills and thrive in a goals-oriented environment. You like that you will be working closely with many types of organizations to enable integration, knowledge, and data pertaining to ESG. You are excited to learn about the financial impacts of sustainability. You recognize that business development involves communicating honestly and fairly to build sustainable relationships. You are excited to help SASB succeed—both financially and at its mission—especially in our high-growth environment where we saw 2019 product sales nearly double from the previous year.
You have learned from experience that authenticity, trust, and problem-solving are essential to building relationships. You are responsive and err on the side of being too helpful. You like developing systems and processes to help you manage internal and external relationships.
You set and achieve stretch goals while pursuing ongoing learning and personal development. You combine a problem-solving mentality with a resilient demeanor to help SASB test, learn, and achieve what’s never been done before. You practice good habits with communication, open-mindedness, and trust, and you expect the same from your team members.
Reports to: Institutional Product Strategist
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Prospect Engagement and Support
- Contribute to business development and earned income growth by responding to inbound inquiries, with the opportunity to represent SASB at certain local industry events
- Research key market segments and individual organizations, including key decision makers within, to identify potential fit for SASB products and communication efforts
- Coordinate follow-up efforts and meetings with appropriate internal SASB stakeholders
- Surface ideas for operational improvements to enhance the prospective outreach
- At times, lead outbound communication to previous event sponsors and prospective new sponsors
Education and Marketing
- Draft copy in conjunction with marketing team to inform strategic and recurring outbound outreach to key stakeholders
- Customize existing presentation and marketing materials to promote key aspects of SASB’s value proposition to a specific audience, such as asset managers, asset owners, service providers, or companies
- Coordinate select brand-building events that SASB co-organizes with other organizations
- Liaise with SASB travel manager to ensure that SASB staff visiting cities with existing clients are aware of key clients and when appropriate, facilitate meetings or connections
Operational Management and Data Analytics
- Set-up and manage a Docusign process to transmit finalized contracts for signing and archiving upon completion
- Manage existing processes in Salesforce to ensure good record-keeping on contact information for prospective organizational clients
- Maintain accurate records of sales (prospective and closed) in Salesforce and routinely review for data accuracy and completion
- Generate reports to provide insight to internal stakeholders on the current status of prospects and recent sales
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Enthusiasm for startup environments, comfort with fast-changing conditions – flexibility is important
- 1-2 years of professional experience and strong desire to learn about ESG and sustainability
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM System
- Tremendous organizational skills and attention to detail
- Competency with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to prioritize and manage many tasks simultaneously
- Execution-oriented, able to get tasks and projects done quickly while maintaining excellent quality
- Strong process orientation; able to identify and implement improvements
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California. Some travel, less than 5%, may be required.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject as “Business Development Associate”