The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About SASB & The SASB Foundation
SASB is changing the way investors, corporations and the public think about ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) sustainability factors. Our mission focuses on setting sustainability accounting standards for public companies to bring social and environmental capital to the attention of mainstream capital markets through engagement with key stakeholders such as the investors, companies and the SEC.
The SASB Foundation is responsible for the funding and oversight of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The mission of The SASB Foundation is to support the work of SASB and provide the market with education and resources that advance the use of SASB standards and the field of sustainability accounting. The SASB Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has raised over $40 million in funding, garnered over 11,500 media mentions, and released sustainability accounting standards that have been downloaded over 180,000 times. We develop products, resources and education programs to support the adoption and use of our sustainability accounting standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, drawing members from the SEC, the FASB and the Big 4, major asset owners and managers, issuers, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals, including Chairman Emeritus Michael Bloomberg.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Make your case in your cover letter. Generic letters don’t persuade us.
As an Analyst on the Research Team at SASB, you drive the development of SASB’s industry-specific standards through research, analysis, and market input. The SASB standards enable companies around the world to report financially material sustainability (or ESG) information to investors in a manner that is useful for investment analysis and cost-effective for companies. As the driving force behind the standards, you assess the financial materiality of ESG information through specializing in one or more sectors, conducting rigorous research and analysis, as well as interacting with companies and investors, including members of the SASB Standards Advisory Group. Ultimately, you strive to continually advance the transparency and efficiency of the capital markets through standardized performance measurement. As the core of the Research Team, Analysts actively collaborate with other team members and engage with the independent Standards Board, which is responsible for the approval of the standards. Furthermore, you support and drive the market’s use of the standards by collaborating with investors, companies, and third-parties. These activities may include advancing ESG integration practices across the investment community, developing tools, resources, and guidance to aid in the market’s use of the standards, analyze global dynamics related to the use of the standards, actively engage with companies and investors, and drive market awareness and education through external forums, events, as well as other communications and collaborations.
REPORTS TO: Director of Research – Standards
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Analyze the financial materiality of sustainability topics across the industries under coverage, including the nature and type of financial impacts
- Advance the usefulness and cost-effectiveness of the metrics used to capture company performance on each sustainability topic
- Assess disclosure quality and trends in the context of standardization, usefulness for investors, and cost-effectiveness for companies
- Establish expertise in the implementation of the SASB Conceptual Framework and Rules of Procedure, both of which are centered on an evidence-based and market-informed process
- Collaborate with the Standards Board to drive high-quality, focused reviews of the standards and revisions under consideration
Projects & Practice Areas
- Lead and support projects and Practice Areas designed to support the market’s use of the standards
- Advance Research Team objectives through efficient collaboration, project management, and strategic thinking
- Coordinate projects and activities with internal teams, including Capital Markets & Policy Outreach, Education & Partnerships, Communications, and Technology
- Own market relations in the sector(s) under coverage, including relations with companies, investors, and relevant third-parties
- Engage and build relationships with experts that can inform that standard-setting process, including members of the Standards Advisory Group
- Analyze, assess, and document market input in an effective and systematic manner
- Drive market education, awareness, and participation in the standard-setting process
- Gain expertise in body of research, market input, and Standards Board reviews that culminated in the codified standards
- Effectively navigate complex stakeholder relations to clarify the SASB standards and approach
- Collaborate with third-parties to leverage expertise and existing bodies of research and analysis
Analysts are high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, direct communicators, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of SASB. In addition, Analysts have:
- Demonstrated high-quality research and analysis skills, including technical aptitude the ability to synthesize complex information into clear insights and conclusions
- Experience in strategic stakeholder relationship management (investor and corporate stakeholders a plus)
- Excellent writing, presentation, and speaking skills across a range of formats and audiences
- Collaborative work style with an ability to be effective as an individual contributor in an entrepreneurial fast-paced environment
- 7+ years of capital markets and/or industry experience (both are a plus)
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
- Advanced degree in a relevant field strongly preferred (e.g., MBA, MS in Engineering or Finance, CFA, or CPA)
- Proficiency using Bloomberg Terminal, Thomson Reuters Eikon, or other financial data and analytics platforms is a plus
- Deep commitment to the mission of SASB
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com, with the email subject as “Analyst”