Summer Research Associate
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. SASB is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to the ones best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world. We need transparency at scale to enable this lever.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has quickly gained market support. Leading global investors support SASB Standards as a core component of corporate disclosure. We develop products, resources, and education to support the adoption and use of our Standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, with previous experience at the FASB and SEC, and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
The Summer Research Associate will support the Research Team at SASB on a temporary basis, typically during the course of a degree-granting program (for example, between the 1st and 2nd years of an MBA). While there is some flexibility, SASB expects a 10-12 week commitment.
In this role, you will partner with SASB’s Analysts and take responsibility for a specific project in support of the development of SASB’s industry-specific standards. The SASB Standards enable companies around the world to report financially material sustainability (or ESG) information to investors in a manner that is useful for investment analysis and cost-effective for companies. In supporting the development of the standards (or the market’s implementation of the standards), you may specialize in one or more sectors and collaborate with Analysts to assess the financial materiality of ESG issues, advance performance measurement, and help drive forward projects that support the market’s use of the SASB standards.
REPORTS TO: Director of Research – Standards
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Analyze the financial materiality of sustainability topics on an industry-specific basis, including the nature and type of financial impacts
- Advance the usefulness and cost-effectiveness of the metrics used to capture company performance on sustainability topics
- Assess disclosure quality and trends in the context of standardization, usefulness for investors, and cost-effectiveness for companies
- Build proficiency in the implementation of the SASB Conceptual Framework and Rules of Procedure, both of which are centered on an evidence-based and market-informed process
Projects & Practice Areas
- Support projects and practice area initiatives designed to facilitate the market’s use of SASB standards
- Advance research team objectives through efficient collaboration, project management, and strategic thinking
- Drive forward projects and activities with internal teams, including Outreach, Education & Partnerships, Communications, and Technology
- Support Analysts in the sector coverage-related activities, including conducting sector-based research and advancing relationships with companies, investors, and third-parties
- Analyze and document market input in an effective and systematic manner
- Support stakeholder relations, including those with companies, investors, and third-parties
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Demonstrated high-quality research and analysis skills, including technical aptitude and the ability to synthesize complex information into clear insights and conclusions
- Excellent communication skills across a range of formats and audiences
- Collaborative work style with an ability to be effective as an individual contributor in an entrepreneurial fast-paced environment
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a non-exempt, hourly, and temporary position. Due to Covid-19, SASB will be operating remotely until at least June 2021 and this position will be remote. It is expected that candidates will have reliable internet, a quiet workspace, and office equipment including a laptop.
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Summer Research Associate”