Global HR Director
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About the Value Reporting Foundation
The Value Reporting Foundation is being created through the merger of two established global organizations, the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC) and the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). The VRF’s mission will be to ensure the global information system for capital markets delivers high quality corporate governance and disclosures relevant to enterprise value creation, which serves the public interest. We achieve this by:
- advocating integrated thinking
- maintaining a framework for integrated reporting
- setting sustainability disclosure standards to complement existing financial disclosure standards
We are working toward a world of efficient and productive capital allocation facilitated by trusted information that drives business performance and sustainable investment, which motivates economic and societal progress.
About the IIRC
The International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC) is a global coalition of regulators, investors, companies, standard setters, the accounting profession, academia and NGOs. The coalition promotes communication about value creation, preservation and erosion as the next step in the evolution of corporate reporting. The IIRC’s purpose is to promote prosperity for all and to protect our planet, through the mission of establishing integrated reporting and thinking within mainstream business practice as the norm in the public and private sectors.
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to those best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world.
You are expert in people and organizations, partnering with leaders to translate company and department goals into the people and process design needed for success. You know how to attract and recruit top talent and how to support managers in developing that talent once hired.
You are thoughtful and strategic, but you don’t neglect the details. You relish the details of HR administration and compliance. People can count on you and your team.
You are a steward of the culture, participating in it and helping it to evolve in ways that integrate new team members and new organizations; accommodate growth and change; promote diversity, equity, and inclusion; and keep people aligned and engaged.
We are a passionate, mission-driven team of employees across North America and the UK. We are one year into an ambitious growth plan that will later expand our footprint into Europe and Asia as well, with teams and offices in key capital markets around the globe. We have a caring, collaborative, and high-performance culture that thrives on teamwork. We serve the markets and we serve each other, knowing that we succeed as a team.
REPORTS TO: President & COO
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Areas of Responsibility
Organizational Design and Talent Development
- Partner with leaders across the organization to understand their work and their goals and help design roles, responsibilities, and structures that enable our success
- Further refine and build out our system of for career development, ensuring structure and transparency for titles and levels of responsibility and ensuring equity in compensation
- Work with managers to understand organizational needs to training and development and help create organization-wide, department-specific, and role-specific development opportunities
- Work with managers to refine job descriptions that both describe the work and attract the level of talent we desire
- Develop recruiting plans to attract top talent and ensure diversity in the candidate pipeline and equity in the hiring process
- Manage compensation and benefits program, with ongoing benchmarking to ensure appropriateness of both for our sector
- Set HR policies and procedures with reference to local practices as well as current and forthcoming legislation, harmonizing approaches where possible and appropriate
- Lead performance management process, including annual appraisals, employee goal setting and mentoring managers on best practices for feedback, coaching, and performance improvement
- Manage payroll and all legal and compliance matters related to personnel
Culture, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
- Facilitate our work on articulating and actively managing our culture, developing organizational values, staff engagement and wellbeing guidance that are appropriate and resonate with the global team
- Conduct staff surveys, town halls, and individual conversations to develop a sense of what is and is not working well in the culture, developing focused solutions that address employee and organizational needs
- Lead our efforts on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Report key HR data and activities to management and funders on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned
The skills and experience required for this role are:
- Understanding of and commitment to the missions of SASB, IIRC and the Value Reporting Foundation (our future name and identity)
- 7+ years in Human Resources, with experience leading most of (if not all) of the HR functions listed
- Conversant in US and UK employment law and employment practices
- Experience growing and scaling an organization; experience with mergers and acquisitions a plus
- Experience managing an HR function with the ability to establish credibility and build trusted relationships in a multi-office, multi-country environment
- Demonstrable passion for working with people and developing people focused solutions
- Strategic thinker, able to see the big picture and how HR can enable achievement of organizational goals
- Solid executer – can manage the details, both personally and through delegation
- Collaborative work style and commitment to getting the job done well with the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with change and uncertainty as we grow
- Bachelor’s degree required, HR certification(s) desirable, with evidence of continuous professional development
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES: Direct management of 1-2 staff.
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- You may be required to drive an automobile to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA. [SASB will be operating remotely until at least January 2022 due to Covid-19]
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Global Director of HR”.