Education & Membership Operations Associate
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. SASB is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to the ones best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world. We need transparency at scale to enable this lever.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has quickly gained market support. Leading global investors support SASB Standards as a core component of corporate disclosure. We develop products, resources, and education to support the adoption and use of our Standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, with previous experience at the FASB and SEC, and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
At SASB you will help ensure the growth of SASB’s education and membership programs with an eye towards strengthening our relationships with members and FSA Credential candidates in order to move the capital markets to a more sustainable and just future. You are passionate about the growth of ESG integration among companies and investors and look forward to playing a role in working with those who are still learning more about this space. This position is a chance to own product operations with customer-facing exposure, providing a great base of experience for career paths in client management, product development, or product management.
You will be the go-to person for managing the customer experience for both SASB’s FSA Credential candidates and individual members of the SASB Alliance, where you’ll answer customers’ questions and solve any problems they might encounter. In addition to customer-facing work, you recognize that effective systems and processes behind-the-scenes are the only way SASB can successfully support 200+ organizational members of the SASB Alliance, where you’ll appreciate being the operations lead in a larger team that manages the organizational membership program.
You have learned from experience that authenticity, trust, and problem-solving are essential to building relationships. You are responsive and err on the side of being too helpful. You have a vested interest in making sure programs are implemented well, reducing customer problems down the line, which is why you invest the time in good program maintenance. You are excited to be part of a growing organization, where there were 2x more FSA Credential candidates in 2020 than in 2019 and the SASB Alliance membership grew by more than 80% during that same period.
You set and achieve stretch goals while pursuing ongoing learning and personal development. You combine a problem-solving mentality with a resilient demeanor to help SASB test, learn, and achieve what’s never been done before. You practice good habits with communication, open-mindedness, and trust, and you expect the same from your team members.
REPORTS TO: Membership & Engagement Manager
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Membership Operational Management
- Manage member support systems, maintaining and streamlining the use of technology to continue high-quality support while the size of the membership grows, which may include supporting the implementation of new member management software solution
- Once a new organizational member joins, lead the process of setting up the systems and documents and internal communication flow needed for the onboarding process
- Draft renewal notifications for organizational members at the end of their annual membership term and prepare additional member communications as needed
- Surface ideas for operational improvements to enhance the member experience or refine how member benefits are fulfilled
- Manage the end-to-end experience for individual members of the SASB Alliance, including answering questions from prospective members, supporting relationship management with current individual members, and tracking member status in Salesforce
Educational Program Candidate Engagement
- Lead customer support by answering inbound questions and meeting customer needs, with a 24-hour response time to solve or, at a minimum, acknowledge the request
- Manage SASB’s relationship with the third party vendor that handles exam registration, delivery, and notification of results
- Manage group registration requests and contract fulfillment
- Support event planning and logistics associated with hosting webinars for FSA Credential candidates and/or credential holders
- Implement new processes for managing records when FSA Credential candidates request continuing education credits for their other professional certifications (i.e. CPA)
Data Management and Data Analytics
- Manage existing systems to ensure good record-keeping for client status and contact information for clients of the membership and educational programs
- Support the tracking of touchpoints with organizational members to efficiently and accurately report KPIs related to member engagement. When appropriate, track similar touchpoints with FSA Credential candidates and/or credential holders
- Monitor accuracy of data transfers from educational exam delivery vendor into SASB Salesforce system for all FSA Credential candidates
- Support the development, delivery and analysis of client surveys
- Help SASB achieve membership and educational program objectives and earned income goals
- Manage operational tasks related to all aspects of the program development, user research, and implementation of new offerings
- Commitment to the mission of SASB
- Enthusiasm for startup environments; comfort with fast-changing conditions – flexibility is important
- Proven experience giving customers and potential customers prompt attention and helpful support
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, asset management, and/or investment research a plus
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with client relations, membership programs, or certification programs is a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft excel required, advanced skills a plus
- Experience with CRM required, Salesforce a plus
- Execution-oriented, able to get things done quickly and with excellent quality
- Strong process orientation; able to see how to improve things
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and a high degree of initiative
- 1-4 years’ relevant experience
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in San Francisco, California. Some travel, less than 10%, may be required. [SASB will be operating remotely until at least January 2022 due to Covid-19]
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Education & Membership Operations Associate.”