Analyst, Technology and Communications Sector Lead
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)’s mission is to help businesses around the world identify, manage, and report on the sustainability topics that matter most to their investors. SASB Standards identify the subset of environmental, social, and governance issues most relevant to financial performance in each of 77 industries. SASB is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Standards matter because progress on disclosure brings us closer to progress on performance. When investors can compare companies and direct capital to the ones best managing business-critical sustainability issues, capital markets and society are more resilient as a result. At SASB, we believe the capital markets are a powerful lever of change for a more sustainable and just world. We need transparency at scale to enable this lever.
We are a dynamic, fast-growing organization that has quickly gained market support. Leading global investors support SASB Standards as a core component of corporate disclosure. We develop products, resources, and education to support the adoption and use of our Standards and are funded by a mix of earned income and grants. We have a talented staff and executive team, with our work overseen by two high-profile boards, with previous experience at the FASB and SEC, and the Big 4 accounting firms, major asset owners and asset managers, companies, and academia. Our work is supported by major institutions and forward-thinking individuals.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
As an Analyst on the SASB research team, you are the architect behind the standards. You are passionate about both the capital markets and sustainability and bring experience in analyzing ESG issues in the tech sector. You will drive the development of SASB’s industry-specific standards encompassed under the SASB Technology & Communications sector through high-quality execution of research, analysis, and market engagement according to the SASB Conceptual Framework and due process outlined in the SASB Rules of Procedure. You enjoy and will actively contribute to the collaborative environment with other research team staff and engage with the independent Standards Board, which is responsible for the approval of the standards.
You bring subject matter expertise on ESG issues and an understanding of how these issues can impact financial performance of companies in the Technology & Communications sector. You equally have an open mind and curiosity to continually learn and question the status quo. You will assess the financial materiality of ESG information through conducting rigorous research and analysis, managing key market relationships, and obtaining market input from relevant companies and investors, including members of the SASB Standards Advisory Group. For the Technology & Communications sector, you may conduct research and engage with market participants on issues such as the environmental footprint of data centers, data privacy, user freedom of expression, human rights in the supply chain, and employee diversity.
You are a strong believer in SASB’s mission and will execute and support organizational projects beyond the scope of standard setting. These activities may include, but are not limited to, developing tools, publications, and resources to aid in the market’s use of the standards and advancement of ESG integration practices across the investment community; analyzing global dynamics related to the use of the standards; and driving market awareness and education of SASB and the ESG reporting landscape through facilitation or presentation at external engagements. They may also include contributing to and/or leading internal projects to improve research team or cross-departmental processes and best practices.
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Research
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Drive and implement high-quality developments of the SASB standards, for industries under coverage, to improve the usefulness of the standards for investors and cost-effectiveness of preparation for companies
- Establish expertise in the SASB Conceptual Framework and apply the SASB materiality framework and all criteria outlined in the Conceptual Framework to execution of standard-setting activities
- Engage with the Standards Board to drive high-quality, focused reviews of the standards and revisions under consideration
- Establish expertise in key and emerging sustainability topics across the industries under coverage by monitoring industry, market and company news, and engaging with the market to leverage expertise and existing bodies of research and analysis
- Monitor external landscape, including developments related to ESG research and corporate and sustainability reporting for industries under coverage, to remain connected to the broader market
- Drive market education, awareness, and participation in the standard-setting process through moderating, speaking at, and/or representing SASB at relevant industry conferences, workshops, or events
- Engage and facilitate stakeholder dialogues with experts who can inform the standard-setting process, including members of the SASB Standards Advisory Group
- Effectively navigate and advance complex stakeholder relations to clarify the SASB standards and standard-setting process
Organizational Projects & Practice Areas
- Lead and/or support organization projects and practice areas, including cross- departmental collaborations, that are aligned with research team and organization goals
- Advance research team and organization objectives through contributions to improve internal processes, tools, and/or strategy
Analysts are proactive, curious, strategic, collaborative, and highly organized critical thinkers with a growth mindset who are committed to the vision and values of SASB. In addition, Analysts have:
- 7+ years of capital markets and/or industry experience, with a strong preference for experience in the tech sector
- Experience in sustainability or environmental, social & governance (ESG) research preferred
- Demonstrated high-quality research and analysis skills, including technical aptitude and the ability to synthesize complex quantitative and qualitative information into clear insights and conclusions
- Demonstrated project management experience, including the ability to plan and execute interdepartmental projects with autonomy, manage internal and external stakeholders, and adapt workflow as required
- Experience in strategic stakeholder relationship management (investor and corporate stakeholders a plus)
- Excellent writing, presentation, and speaking skills across a range of formats and audiences (technical writing experience is a plus)
- Collaborative work style with an ability to be effective both as an individual contributor and project manager in an entrepreneurial fast-paced environment
- Ability to bring big-picture thinking and equally execute with high attention to detail
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
- Advanced degree in a relevant field strongly preferred (e.g., MBA, MS in Engineering or Finance, CFA, or CPA)
- Proficiency using Bloomberg Terminal, Thomson Reuters Eikon, or other financial data and analytics platforms is a plus
- Deep commitment to the mission of SASB
Special ADA Requirements
SASB is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY. [SASB will be operating remotely until at least January 2022 due to Covid-19]
US work authorization required. SASB will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Analyst, Technology Sector Lead”.